How to get a Free Elective!
- Determine & Determination – first, determine this is what you want to do. “I want my elective to be completely funded by external sources!” Then turn this into your goal! Remember goals are SMART (specific, measurable, action, realistic and timed) e.g. By March 1st, I will have raised all the funding I need for my elective.
- Budget – what is the overall cost? Create a budget for your elective. Distinguish between items you’re will to do without and those that are compulsory. For example the cost of flights & a visa are compulsory, while the budget of £20 for a day trip to visit Lekki Conservation Centre, in Lagos is not so high on the priority list.
- Source – Do your research to explore where you can source your funds from. Compose a list and give yourself deadlines to send your application/letter. Doing this as early as possible is best to avoid unexpected delays and disappointment.
- Application – create your letter/complete the necessary application forms .
- Remember – after returning from your elective, remember to hold up your end of the bargain. Is there a report to submit? Are there thank you letters to send?
All the best!